Huckle and the Beanstalk is the seventh 69-minute direct-to-video episode of the Richard Scarry's Best Videos Ever series and first one not to be released on VHS. It was originally to be published on May 15, 1995, but that got cancelled. It's set to be released on DVD sometime in the Future.
This Video is an adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk (as well the Disney adaption, Mickey and the Beanstalk) with Huckle Cat, Lowly Worm, Mr. Fixit, Lily Bunny, Hilda Hippo and Bananas Gorilla as peasants who discovered temperamental a Giant's castle in the sky through the use of some magic beans.
The Story is narrated by Suzie Steed in live-action sequences, who, with the help of his ventriloquist dummies, Tim (from BrainPop), the Sesame Street cast(Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster, and Grover) and the Muppets (Kermit, Fozzie, Animal, Walter, Gonzo, Flyod, Rowlf, Deadly, and Statler and Waldorf), tell the tale to Faline at her birthday party.
The story begins in a prosperous land called Animal Valley, which is a lush, green valley, complete with fertile farmlands and babbling brooks. Animal Valley's prosperity is the result of the magic of the voice of the beautiful Princess Ariel (from Disney's the Little Mermaid), who sings daily to keep Animal Valley prosperous and happy due to the magic spell cast by her voice. Ariel is kept in a large, majestic castle overlooking Animal Valley, where she sings daily from her balcony, much to the delight of the residents of Animal Valley.
One day, however, a dark shadow is cast over Happy Valley and thunder and lightning rip across the sky as the shadow descends upon Ariel's balcony and absconds with her, leaving signs of the theft in its wake. Without the harp's magical voice to keep prosperity over the land, Happy Valley soon descends into famine and drought, turning the once beautiful valley into a gruesome wasteland as crops turn to dust and are swallowed by the earth and the brooks dry up. In the midst of this terrible famine, viewers are introduced to three peasants (Blot, Rhino, and Mittens) who are suffering greatly due to starvation, with only a Life-time Load of Fruit, Vegetables, and Chicken and Beans to share amongst themselves and the other Peasants (Huckle, Lowly, Fixit, Lilly, Hilda, Rhonda, and Bananas).
- Kate Higgins - Huckle Cat, Tori Lilly, Connie Cow, Sally Cat, Smurfette, Edward
- John Travolta - Bolt
- April Winchell - Suzie Steed
- Steve Whitmire - Kermit the Frog, Rizzo the Rat, Foo-Foo, Statler, Ernie
- Eric Jacobson - Fozzie Bear, Donald & Douglas, Animal, Grover, Bert, Various
- Susie Essman - Mittens
- Doug Compton - Sergeant Murphy, Bananas Gorilla, Gordon, Various
- William Hope - Edward
- Keith Wickham - Lowly Worm, Bertie the Bus, Captain, Salty, Various
- Wickham also provides the voices Edward, Henry, Gordon, James and Percy on the British and Australian releases of the video
- Christopher Ragland - Percy
- Rob Rackstraw - James, Mr. Fixit, Bert Raccoon, Various
- Bill Barretta - Rowlf the Dog, Henry, Various
- Ariel Winter - Lily Bunny, Rhonda Raccoon
- Jodi Benson - Princess Ariel, Various
- Mark Walton - Rhino
- Dave Goelz - Waldorf, Gonzo, Various
- Peter Linz - Walter, , Various
- Matt Vogel - Tim, Tweety Bird, Robin the Frog, Uncle Deadly, Floyd Pepper, Ralph Raccoon, Various
- Susan Roman - Melissa Raccoon
- Kerry Shale - Henry, Frank the Giant, Various
- Caroll Spinney - Big Bird and Oscar
- This is the first Richard Scarry video to have a crossover.
- First appearances for Bolt, Ariel, Mittens, Rhino, Faline, Ralph Raccoon, Melissa Raccoon, and the Muppets in Richard Scarry Franchise.
- Patchy the Pirate and Tim are the only humans to be featured in this Video. in Fact, this the only video to feature humans.
- This is the Only Richard Scarry Video to feature live-action characters.
- This is the first time to Not feature the Usual Airplane opening and sequence.
- This is also the Fourth time to Not feature the Usual Airplane ending sequence (with the others Being "Best Counting Video Ever", "Best Learning Songs Video Ever", and "Best Mother Goose Sing-Along Video Ever").
- the Animal Valley in the Story's Backgrounds are reused from, and is a precursor to Teletubbyland from the Teletubbies.
- The song that Ariel sings to Frank the giant to sleep is non-other than her song from the original Disney film, Part of Your World.